ORDER your Filipino food ingredients online today – UK only.
Yema Bread Rolls
Tasty bread rolls suitable for any breakfast table.
Servings: 15 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup Milk heated to a temperature of 105 to 110 F
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and kept warm
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 piece eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Proof the Yeast and Make the Dough
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the warm milk. Stir well and let stand for about 15-20 minutes until foamy and thick.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and measure out 5 tablespoons. Reserve the remaining beaten eggs to make the yema.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and the 5 tablespoons of eggs. Stir until sugar is incorporated.
- Add the remaining warm milk, the yeast, and 1/4 cup of the flour. Stir mixture until smooth and let stand briefly for about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the remaining flour and salt and add to the bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon for 7 minutes or until it has gathered into a smooth and shiny dough. This dough will be very sticky. Do not add any flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the warm, melted butter and using your hands, mix the butter into the dough. Mix for about 5 minutes, incorporating the butter into the dough until it is soft, smooth and very shiny.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for 1 and 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Knead the dough briefly just to deflate. Place it back in the bowl and chill in the fridge for one hour.
Make the Yema filling:
- In a saucepan over medium, combine potato and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until very tender.
- See further instructions: Kawaling Pinoy
Thanks to our friends at Kawaling Pinoy for sharing this amazing recipe. Need any help? Get in touch through our Live chat or Contact us page.