ORDER your Nigerian food ingredients online today. #EthnicMixxProducts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 can plum tomatoes
- 3 tsp tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (add or lessen depending on spice wanted)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 piece stock cube recommend Knorr or Maggi cube
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onions over a low to medium heat until translucent.
- Stir in the tomato purée and all the spices including the stock cube. Mix thoroughly for about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stir well. Once it is mixed well cover and leave to simmer for 20 mins on low heat.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly to the point that when you add water to the rice it becomes clear, reduce the starch of the rice as much as possible.
- After 20 minutes the tomato mix should be separating from the oil. At this point add the well washed rice to the pot, add water and mix well.
- Taste the sauce at this point and add salt if needed.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes on low heat, or until the rice is cooked.
- Serve the Jollof with fried plantain if desired or with your choice of meat.
Share on Facebook
See more how to make Nigerian jollof rice content from the web:
Credits: Ivonne Ajayi
Other popular methods of cooking jollof rice can be found on the BBC food website: